You’re anxious and worried. Your heart is beating fast and your breath is shallow. Your mind is imagining the worst and you wish you could just relax. Sound familiar? Any anxiety sufferer will know these feeling all too well, but did you know that your anxiety might not be in your mind, rather in your gut? Studies have shown that fermented foods (with probiotics) can actually influence the part of the brain that controls anxiety. So if your gut isn’t getting enough probiotics, and you’re feeling anxious, your brain is probably having a pretty hard time producing those feel good hormones that alleviate those nasty feelings.
You don’t just have to pop a probiotic capsule to ease anxiety. Whole foods like miso, tofu, sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi and natural yogurt have large amounts of good bacteria, the kind our guts crave! So to help you rid your feelings of worry, here is the The Namaste Bowl: containing loads of feel good hormone boosting ingredients such as tyrosine, typtophan, magnesium, calcium, zinc and probiotics to assist in the production of serotonin, melatonin and GABA – a happy gut makes a happy brain!
Serves: 1 prep and cook time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup cooked red quinoa (for tyrosine)
- ¼ avocado sliced (for B6)
- 1 100 gm piece of oily fish such as tuna, salmon, sardines or mackerel panfried to liking (for omega 3 fatty acids) We used tuna panfried for 2 minutes each side.
- 1 tablespoon sauerkraut (for probiotics)
- 1 teaspoon gomasio (dulse and sesame seed “salt”) (for calcium, magnesium and iron)
- 1 handful of leafy greens (for tyrosine and zinc)
- 1 cup miso broth (made from fresh miso paste and boiling water for added probiotics) we love spiral foods shiro miso paste
Place all ingredients in a bowl like below, pour over the miso broth and enjoy the chill out.